Hello people !!

A big virtual hello to all you Didactique-bloggers,

I strongly believe that the world's growing more and more virtual with each passing day. As future teachers, you will be expected to be at ease using a few tools on the Internet, you will be expected to help your students know, understand and if possible, appreciate these tools .....

Let's hope that the practical approach we will be adopting this semester will allow you to master just a few basic things ...

Happy blogging and happy podcasting ... :-)

Let the fireworks begin !!!!!

Monday 5 March 2012

The debate on Facebook

I see that most of you unanimously believe that there should be a distinction between "living" and "learning". In other words, as Mandy says, "there is a moment to learn and there is a moment to go on Facebook." I really liked that, Mandy! :-)
But if all our teachers had believed in this difference, they would never have used the radio or the television in teaching either. The radio was a familial moment, when the family gathered around to listen to the news and the songs that followed them. The television was also a means of entertainment, right? What about the videos on YouTube that we watch all the time in the classroom and outside? Aren't they supposed to be purely for 'having fun'? When did all these "tools" become adept for teaching? 
And I answer, when the teachers did NOT make this difference between "learning" and "life". For isn't life all about learning and learning all about life? How can we then make the distinction?
Take any online or offline tool from anywhere. It is how teachers USE these tools that determine if the tool is good enough or not, and not the tool by itself. Is this making sense? 
Here's a video that illustrates how a (junior) high school history teacher uses Facebook in her classes. Do watch it and leave your comments on my blog. That way we know what everyone has to say about this most interesting debate. Everyone is free to have an opinion, you know that!! :-)

Sarah Romeyn and her History class

14 comments:

  1. I really think that the dinstinction between learning and living as you say is very important.
    I think taht the students working on Facebook would go to see their friend's photos and comment it and so, their work wouldn't be efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite understand what you say in your second paragraph, Sylvain, but I don't think I ever said that the distinction is 'important'. I said in fact that you must NOT make the distinction as teachers

      Delete
  2. Thank you about this special dedicace ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the quote from Mandy. When you are in facebook, I think it would be too tempting to have fun instead of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm agree with you about the TV, radio, and Youtube, nowadays a lot of teachers use those tools in class but Facebook could be "unsafe" . I mean everyone could have access to that website and could comment, moreover as everyone say, students will be tempted to chat with their friends ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's unsafe, can't you add your students to a 'private' group?

      Delete
  5. I watched the video and I liked the idea of creating a fan page for an historical figure!It seems to be a good way of making the teacher's class more exciting.Students have to make important researches before adopting their new virtual identities and posting the ideas of governors or religious leaders..
    But I don't really get the point of her last activity:'the virtual salon' (being connected simultaneously).Visiting your classmates'profils,making comments and debating behind your screen may be a good exercise but it can't replace a real dialogue.Maybe the 'salon' could be an oral debate between the pupils,each one acting his personal character so they would also improve their oral skills.(and if the experience was adapted to English learners then it could also aim at working on their pronunciation)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well thought, Coline. But you forget, the activity was not for teaching English as a foreign language. The students are American, so they don't need to learn English as a foreign language !!

      Delete
  6. I think that today children are very early on internet espacially on face book
    I have friends who spend HOURS(SSSSS...) on face book
    And I don't think that primary school children or secondary school children NEED to spend time on social networks
    I think it's better communicate face to face at this age, it's better talking, not writing alone with his screen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, they dont NEED to spend time on social networks, but they do so ANYWAY... So why not make they study WHILE they are having fun?

      Delete
  7. I think Internet is a part of our life today beacause in the world of work we often use the new technology and specially Internet. So I think it's a good idea to learn new things with Internet if it's in a school context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This way of teaching is very intersting & I've never think about it but I found it very interesting.
    It proves once more that in order to be a teacher, you have to be very creative & imaginative in order to attract students.
    This video made me aware that when you are a teacher you definetely have to adapt yourself & everytime to the new techology

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) I didn't forget they were American!I was just imagining:if we (as teachers) adapted this activity to our English learners class,pupils would also work on their pronunciation and grammar.

    ReplyDelete